In the Book of the Courtier, following ‘How To Be A Man’ there is, ‘How To Be A Lady,’ and this is the list that was written on the board so this is the list I am typing up for studying purposes on the exam. Just need to know it for another 2 weeks and then we can forget it all.
Corresponding Main Occupation for Lady
- Good at ‘knowing audience’
- Good at Conversing
- Good as knowing ‘who’s who’
- Good at knowing who she is talking to, what they should they be talking about (subjects), and when.
- She must be, do, know, & know everything about what I man knows but not so she can do them but so she can talk about them.
- She must keep a conversation going
- She must be well eductated
- She must be a mother, a wife, and a lady of the court. (the mother & wife part are assumed in with the role)
She is defined by her felinity in a way the man is not.
- Wife & Mother
- Court Lady
- Hostess (main function)
- Appearance (she should know what garments enhance her grace)
- Music & Dance
When a first lady does not conform to that idea she is attacked.
For next time: Most italian Renaissance cities were like Urbino (were Courtiers takes place). Urbino was ruled by a Duke. The other people involved in government were people of the court. Courtiers. Florence & Venice were two big exceptions – they were republics. No Dukes. No courts. They governed themselves.