The first day of painting. I hated. These are the notes I took from that day. That long, chipper, depressing day.
For Oil Painting
Shit I fucking forgot about the exhibition, that was this thursday, that was required. I didn’t go. Its Friday.
Here are the notes:
- Mineral Spirit (Gamsol) and Galkyd: Thins out paint.
- Mix no more than 50/50
- Drying depends on fatty/lean pigment
- Build painting in layers – always do this.
- In the first layer, we are going to “Block in”.
- There is also a thing called Linseed oil.
- (Not my favorite).
- Turpenoid Natural: Great for Clean up and Cleaning brushes.
- Lighter brush = rougher texture (Natural)
- Darker brushes = softer (synthetic)
- The synthetic ones are good for detail work and blending
- PS. Sabel brushes are painfully expensive.
- All this shit is very, many, much technicalities. Enjoy.
Homework Every Week
- Art in America: Go into Art building in Yellow Thing and get a magazine. Rip, paste, and critique the critique of a work of art in the magazine as well as an original critique from you. Include date. Sketch some shit you know, be creative. Hate/love, Success/fail. Due Each Week. Record in your fancy dandy Art Journal.
Things to Consider:
- Warm Colors Advance
- Deep Space vs. Shallow Space
- What is shallow is more intimate .
- Unity vs. Variety.
- Unity being Cohesive and such.
- Open composition vs. closed.
- All create different responses and communicate differently.
- Like this lines _______________________ a horizontal line is calm. Hollar at the horizon line, its serene n’ shit.
- Diagnoal lines, which i can’t type////// are CHAOTIC///STRESS. //like every day// living//shits just like how Parisians drive.
- Bold lines
__________________________ are STRONG. formal. you know- bold is bold.
Swirly pretty lines are graceful- like ivy or vines.
- ∇∇∇∇∇ Shapes are rigid. Mathmetical. They convey order and logic.
- Shapes can convey an emotional response- this is visual language.
There has been — 4 days of painting, I joined late so I’ve been there 3. We have the assignment of painting gourds (still life) in a monochrome. My one color I am using is Blue. Progress is good I guess…fast. I’m anxious about detail because where is my patience going to come for that. That’s on Monday. I am considering adding tiny geometric shapes to create dimension. Its easier to waste time blending. So I’ll blend all monday and then do shapes and criss-crossing on Wednesday. And that journal shit. So, that’s for next week.